My Car Key Broke In The Ignition: What Should I Do?
How To Remove A Broken Car Key Stuck In Ignition
You plan your day and get in the car to arrive fast at the supermarket when suddenly the key breaks in the ignition…There’s nothing more stressful than that. Your vehicle won’t be able to start until the keyway is clear, so what should you do now? Is it ok to DIY some repairs?
Firstly, you should never try to get the key out of the ignition without knowing some risks first. If you are not a professional, you may worsen the damage. Removing the broken car key from the ignition may look like a simple task, but it needs proper technique.
Before calling Chandler car lockout services, check this article to see what to do when a broken key is stuck in the ignition.
Be Aware Of The Ignition
If the key broke off in the ignition, don’t worry, it won’t necessarily be damaged. Nonetheless, you can break it if you don’t act carefully. Damaging the car’s ignition is worse than harming an old lock. The ignition is a crucial part of your car, allowing it to run properly. Therefore, you should always call a locksmith to remove the broken key from the ignition before doing anything else.
This is the best way to proceed and avoid worse damage. Trying to remove the key yourself may be more dangerous.
If you still prefer to remove the broken key, you may consider some recommendations. Firstly, you must be careful about the things you put in the keyway. Avoid super glue methods of extraction.
Do not force any tools into the clogged ignition either. If something doesn’t go well, try a smaller tool. You should also avoid excessive attempts of the same method. The vehicle’s ignition can be damaged if a tool is used too many times.
Find The Right Tools For The Job
It’s always recommended to contact Apache Junction car lockout services instead of doing the job yourself. However, if you still want to try, you must find the right tools first.
Removing the key from the ignition cylinder is not easy. If the key broke off in the ignition while you were at home, you may be able to get some items quickly.
Gathering the right materials can be more difficult if you are stranded. You can still search your vehicle for tools you can use.
These are some of the items you need:
- Tweezers: You’ll probably find tweezers anywhere. They are perfect for pulling out broken key fragments. They should be thin enough to enter the keyway, and their opening should be wide enough to fit the key blade.
- Key Extractors: These are specialty tools, but you might find them in auto parts stores.
- Mini Hacksaw Blades: They are usually available in hardware stores. These items are used by sliding inside the ignition. Keep in mind the blade must be small and thin enough for it to work. Too many attempts using a hacksaw blade can damage the ignition, so be careful.
- Needle Nose Pliers: You can also find these tools in hardware stores. The extra-long pliers are the best option due to their thinner ends. Many Mesa car lockout services recommend these items for their convenience.
- Safety Pins: These pins are also very common in many places, including rest stops and gas stations. They work quite well as probes to pry at the key. You can use them as if they were chopsticks or tweezers.
- Paper Clips: They are available almost anywhere too. You can shape them into tweezers and probe tools to get the broken car key out of the ignition.
How To Remove The Key From The Ignition
Follow these steps to remove the key successfully:
- Check the area to see if there are broken key fragments. Ensure they are not fully inserted into the ignition.
- If the fragment is not fully inserted, grip and pull it from each side using pliers, tweezers, or similar tools.
- If the key fragment is not exposed, or you don’t have the right tools to grip the key, use the wedge and slide method with mini hacksaw blades or thin profile tools.
- Wedge the tool in the ignition keyway.
- Turn the tool toward the key to catch it and pull it out.
- Continue to wedge and slide your tool until you can pull the key from the ignition.
Contact Trusted Mesa Car Lockout Services For A Safe Solution
The previous recommendations are useful, but it’s always better to contact the experts. With US Key Service you can get many convenient automotive locksmith services, including emergency lockouts, broken key extractions, key replacement, and more. Contact us today for more information!